Monday, February 27, 2012

Teatro ao Largo

I spent the day working for Teatro ao Largo, helping make the backdrop.  They have this brilliant space - an old primary school.  It has plenty of space and it is set quite near the sea, so you can sea the blue line of it on the horizon as you are working.  Very nice.
I think Teatro ao Largo is a great asset to Alentejo.  It has been going for years, with the help of Odemira Council.  Steve Johnston does nearly all the music, and writes most of the plays.  They have at least two different shows a year which they tour all over Portugal with, and give free shows to the villages in Alentejo.  The actors, Ricardo, Nuno and Ines, plus Steve, do a grand job and Helen sings beautifully and paints amazing scenery and designs the costumes.  Altogether pretty cool.  I go and do some sewing for them now and then and enjoy the atmosphere.  Makes a change from permaculture and all my other lovely things in my life... like making bread...
 Here is a bread oven that I'm not going to use tonight...

And here is a picture of Ricardo, Ines and Nuno, wearing the costumes we (Helen and I) made last year.

I bought an electric grain mill, made in Germany.  It's a beautiful object which works a treat.  I've just ground flour and made the dough, now it's rising in front of the fire.  Soon I will pop it in the oven.  Just have to be strong and not eat any hot bread and butter before going to bed....

2 comments: