Sunday, June 3, 2012

Oh God, We're half way through the year!

The days are shooting by and we haven't been doing all that we thought we would do this week, partly because we diecided to try out a two week 'Turbo charge your life' thing which involves drinking gallons of fruit and vegetable slurry.  It's actually very tasty stuff, and you do feel more alert, but the lack of carbohydrates can make hard digging and lifting feel too much.  R says I look much better, but that makes me wonder how 'bad' I must have looked before!
No, but seriously, it is a great thing to do.  No bread, butter, cheese, alcohol, red meat, potatoes.  I love it.  I do miss the odd glass of wine, but not too much.
So not a huge amount of progress on the building front.
I have harvested one patch of potatoes, as they were looking rather poorly.  Not a huge bounty, but they look perfect, considering it was a very dry winter, and I haven't watered any of the potato crop.  The rest are doing well.  Most are growing under black plastic netting, and it really does keep the soil moist.
My sons have been helping, digging a long trench (150m) from the site to the new water connection.  Yes, we now are connected to agua de rede.  It's amazing.  Just turn on the tap!  Still have to carry the water down to the vege garden until the boys have dug the trench. :)
The guava I grew from a pip (they germinate very easily) has flowers/fruit on it.  And the banana that I had lingering in a pot for a couple of years is shooting up since it has gone into the ground next to the bender.  It loves it.  Also, because I gave it plenty of straw mulch, it has not needed watering since I planted it a week ago.
The avacado seeds that I had put in the earth here and there are coming up.  I'm not watering them - they have to survive on their own.  Well, with a bit of mulch.
 Watch this space!
We intend to get on with the store room earth bag building this coming week.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment