Monday, July 16, 2012

Flights of fancy and landing with a thump

 This is where we should hang out drinking cold shandy.... At Quebramar in Milfontes.
Instead we are slogging away at the earthbags...


And here is a picture of Isabella and her classmates with their teacher, Ana, at their end of year party.


I got so excited last week over building a bigger better bender... I could hardly sleep.  And as soon as I had time I started to dig a level site and then create the amazing cob bender.  First of all I had to downsize as the steel rebar was too bendy to make it the size I had imagined.  That was a bit of a blow...  Then I got excited by the new shape, like a spider, and covered the top in chicken wire and then cob.  All well.  The next day it had dried to a fine biscuit and looked amazing.  So I began to do more.   It began to sag, and then the wind began to blow it over to one side.  Darn!  The rebar is just not up for what I want it to do.   So I had to admit defeat and take off the still wet cob.  It bounced back into shape and I have left it there.  I will concentrate on the earthbag dome for the next few days.  It is nearly finished.  I will have somewhere to live on our land, one day.  I must be patient.  Meanwhile.... It is too hot to do anything.
R has made a very comfortable and good looking chair for sitting around outside.  He is making another one  so we can sit in the shade and pant.  Over 35 degrees in the shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment