Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Equinox and time of change

The equinox and time of change.  Now the night starts before eight in the evening.  But the days are still intensely hot after a fresh start.

Today I went to Furnas with Simone for an early dip.  The beach was nearly empty of people and full of high tide.  Lovely big swell which we plunged into and swam over and then swam along the edge of the beach, rising and falling over the big waves.  It was so lovely.  I'm glad Simone was there as I probably wouldn't have had the nerve to do it alone.  After that we sat in the warming sun to dry and decided to go to the market at Brunheiras to see if Simone could find some good deals in clothes for her trip.  The smell of barbequeued chicken was very tempting but we resisted and found some good bargains, before I dropped her off and went back to Sao Luis for lunch.

I have been insulating the roof of the new house with the sheep's wool I bought from a neighbour in the spring.  I've stapled it up with calico and it looks ok but smells.... Apparently the smell diminishes over time.  Nuno knocked a hole in the wall for a window, which eased the stink a little.  It's not so bad, but quite funky.  I need more wool.  I will have to ask around or wait til next spring.  When I got the first lot I thought I should buy more, but didn't.

I've also whitwashed the walls and wow! so brilliant and white and clean the place looks.  It needs another coat or two, but it's a start.  Now it's really beginning to look almost habitable.

The water from the sink and the shower will drain into a bed of water-loving plants. More digging required. But now I'm taking a couple of days off as my brain is over working and I've got so many ideas that I can't sleep, and meditation is difficult. Weekends are important.

Laura and Isabella come home tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment