Wednesday, February 20, 2013


I always forget that January and February are very hard months. I manage, but usually with a grim determination. The real winter with storms, rain, cold. Last year it was draught conditions; cold, dry, sunny, dusty! This year it's been wet, which is a blessing as the wells and aquifers get refilled, and windy, which I must admit drives me mad! I can handle ordinary wind, but those gale force blasts really got me this year. I think it was the fear if the tin roof flying away leaving us without our shell! The great thing (one of the many great things) about this part of the world is that the winters are short.  Anyway, we got through it. Now the weather is much more Spring-like and things are coming up in the garden and around.

We have put up a line of electric fencing round the vegetable garden in the hope that that will deter the b****** goats. I think having my garden marauded so many times really did me in. I've been down with a bad cold . I blame the goats!

I have stuck in cuttings of rosemary along the sides of beds which will grow up to be windbreaks, and also have some box plants for the same reason.

A L Solar have installed a solar hot water system and yesterday there was enough sun to heat the water. Steaming! I had my first hot shower here. We still have to sort out the grey water outlet. Make it further away from the house. The chickens love it. They look for food scraps from the washing up.

R has planted two almond trees on the same level as the two macadamia trees which I grew from seed, but which look rather weedy. I hope they pick up as the weather warms up. I have planted an apple and a diospero (persimmon) in the garden, and some kiwi vines and some wild grape, along with some avocados grown from seed. They grow well in this part of the world, as long as they don't get too cold.

R has been digging deep into the side of the hill for the next rainwater tank. The rain has stopped that activity for a bit as it is dangerous taking filled wheelbarrows of gravel and sand down the steep, slippery path. He has been barrowing large quantities and it is an amazing feat of strength and endurance... Now he's dragging up chestnut tree trunks whcih he sawed down. There are some dead ones standing. They have wood bug on the surface, but look to be good wood inside. They are heavy pieces and they have to come UP which is hard work!

So things are looking brighter and there has been no sign of any goats since we put up the electric fence... I wonder if they know...

No comments:

Post a Comment