Sunday, May 19, 2013

Bits and Pieces

Sorry, no lovely photos for the moment, as I have a new system on the computer (Linux) and don't really know how to use it!

We bought some wool from the son-in-law of the lady in the cafe. Three huge bags full! And for a few days I pulled off the dag ends (with the help of Marian, who also did some sterling work on some of my poor weedy beds and borders, while on 'holiday' with us!) and then I stuffed them in feed sacks and stapled them to the rafters under the tin roof. Now that it has started to get hot it has made a big difference! It looks a bit funny and smells a lot worse, but already the smell is diminishing.

We have been eating quite a bit of food from the garden. Peas, beans, broccoli, spinach, leeks and yesterday I harvested the first proper hearted up cabbage! I feel very proud :) and rather healthy!

We have started digging a new terrace for the next water tank. The ground is like iron. I used a huge iron bar and broke up the surface, then scraped it off, then did another depth. Hot work!

Yesterday I put up a big tent on the only bit of flat land we have. It was windy and quite a few swear words were being blown over the hillsides.... but finally it is up and now I'm getting it ready for my cousin and her son who are going to come and see what we are up to. Exciting!

The swallows have made a nest under the eave of the tin roof, next to the bedroom, so I hear them whizzing about and squeaking. I hope it's not too windy for them. I have made a small temporary 'pond' for them out of a huge plastic bowl. I would like to have a larger area of water for all the animals, the birds and the bees. One day.

The once-a-month Sunday market is on in the village today. I will go and see if there are some organic avocados and figs to buy. We have eaten all our dried figs from last year, and the avocados from Algarve are really delicious.

Hopefully, I will get the photo thing sorted as it is fun to share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment