Saturday, November 2, 2013

Meet Bonnie!


Here is the latest member of the family! Bonnie, six weeks old and so sweet and bonnie. She already keeps the chickens off the patio. She comes from the cafe at Ribeira do Salto so she is a local dog.



This is a very happy dancing carrot I pulled out of the ground!


Along with all the excitement of getting a dog, I have also been building a green house. It is the structure furtherest away. I used up old bits of rebar and chicken wire and bought some plastic sheeting to drape over it, then put shade netting over it . The door that I had made for the first bender fits for this structure. The cost for this green house - 20€. The temperature during the day in side has been about 27 degrees C when it has been 18 outside. I have put my house plants and other heat loving plants in there, like the coffee plant, some banana trees, a pineapple that has got a new shoot on it (Yes, that's exciting, too!) I want to be able to walk in there and inhale that glorious smell that green houses have, of plant breath!


I never get tired of watching the beautiful unfurling of the day, up here on the hill top, so here is another misty sunrise. Look how green the land has become.

In the garden I have peas and broad beans coming up. And garlic, red onions, leeks, cabbages, and a few potatoes. The guava bush has lots of fruit which I have to get to before the birds do if I want to eat the fruit! The strawberries are still producing and I shall make a much bigger, more fertile bed for them as they obviously do very well here. The carrots continue to amaze, but I haven't had much luck getting more to germinate.

Laura is looking so well and being a great mummy to her two lovely girls.

R will be back by the end of the month. I'm looking forward to that. I hope he likes my little 'rug rat', Bonnie!

No comments:

Post a Comment