Thursday, June 12, 2014

Cobbing, then hobbling, then putting the boot in


The cobbing has been going well. It is such an easy, simple medium to work with, but there is a learning curve. It takes patience. I am learning how to pace myself. R had a go and cut his foot and then I cut my foot, on the sharp wee stones. So this morning I went down with my wellies, and hey presto, it works just as well or even better. Faster, anyway. I am glad I did some with bare feet because you do get a feel for it, when the clay goes sticky... but I can see that in my wellies.

The wall is up to my hips now. I am on the third layer and it is time to decide about the windows. We went to a car salvage place and asked about old windscreens and the like, but the man was about to dash off so he said come back another day. He had some. I also have some old windows I found thrown out. These will do for windows that don't open. The opening window is waiting to go in after the next layer.

Around the doorway I put in a log on each side so we can fix the door frame to them. ('Dead men'). The walls have set solid and it's very exciting!


It has been very hot. Today it got to 38 degrees. We sat in our tank for a while to chill the bones. Lovely. R cooked supper in the solar oven. He said he used about two minutes of gas and then popped it in this contraption and left it to cook away in the blazing sun all afternoon. It was delicious.

We are eating beans, cabbage, onions, broccoli, carrots,garlic, from the garden and the occasional ruby red raspberry!

No comments:

Post a Comment