Monday, September 29, 2014

So Far






Soon I will be able to light the fire! This fireplace has taken up a lot of my time, not so much in work but in waiting and watching and undoing and being a bit humble... Learning to listen to others and myself.

I made a bench next to the stove and put lots of squishy cob on the side of the stove and leaned into it to make the perfect back rest. I can imagine sitting with my feet up and looking out the window, cup of tea on the mantlepiece, heat seeping through the cob.... Maybe a couple of dogs basking in the heat.

We had a lot of rain. Huge thunder storms and heavy showers which filled up the swales. The building is as dry as a bone! I have been digging a trench around the outside of the studio to take away the water.

The nights are drawing in. It's still not cold. The guitar has come out of hiding and I've been practising, entertaining the dogs.

A few vegetable beds have been dug over and sown with carrots and onions. Soon the olives will be ready... but we still have jars of them from last year. Unfortunately they have gone a bit soggy. Laura reminded me that her father-in-law uses a couple of acorns in the brine which is supposed to help them keep firm. I wonder if that is the tannin in them.
 The fig trees are losing their leaves and figs drop onto the dry litter.

The neglected garden...

The back of the house and the view

No comments:

Post a Comment