Sunday, March 11, 2018

News From Storm-bound Alentejo

It's been a Hell of a month. Cold frosty stuff which we are not used to, and then came the rain and high winds. Sometimes bits of straw got blown off the new roof, but I have been warm and dry.

The swallows are still avoiding this hill. I have seen them nearer the coast. I wonder if they will come and nest on my clay walls.

Here's a photo of the pizza oven after I had just finished it. It looks a bit weather beaten since this photo was taken, but still functional. When this stormy weather passes I will give it another coat of cal/clay paint.  It is for my neighbours. I hope they like it!


Here is one of the terraces, planted with potatoes and broad beans. When I dug them over the soil was dry. Now, after monster rainstorms the ground is sodden and beans and potatoes are beginning to sprout.

Lower down I have green beans and on the third one the garlic which I planted in November is looking tall and strong.


My house, seen from below. I will never build a two story house again. It is so much more work to get stuff on the walls. I still have to render the outside. We have had a few days of driven rain from the South West and the walls got very wet, but still firm and dry inside. The miracle of cob. The roof needs to overhang more so I think I will make a veranda to go round it, which will protect it from the rain and keep the sun out in the summer.

I thought I'd try a paleo food thing. No bread! No biscuits! I'm into my third week and I feel all right. I sleep like a baby (crying all night Not!!) and have got over the craving for bread. Nuts, apples and meat.

Daffodils are out and lots of plants are thinking it's spring. After this much longed for rain we look forward to the gentle heat that comes in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment