Monday, October 15, 2018

Rain, finally!

We got the tail end of a couple of hurricanes in the Atlantic. Nothing damaged, but quite a good bit of rain. We are all blinking and feeling strange. Shoes and socks, jeans and jerseys, etc.

My house is dry inside. Yeah! I still haven't finished the roof extensions but it works fine. I am hoping to get some volunteers to help me do the work next week.

Last week I took a short trip up north to a place near Tabua, Coimbra area. It was interesting to see how steep the hills are and how covered in (burnt) eucalyptus they are. It is so sad. It should be a criminal offence to plant those trees, plus the false mimosa which is spreading like a plague.

I stayed with a family who are starting up a permaculture forest. I loved their enthusiasm and energy. I feel a bit jaded, myself. Farming and 'the good life' is a lot of work, especially if you live on a steep hillside with no access to the lower slopes. Still, it is good exercise.

The chestnuts are ripe and big. Time to make that dangerous chestnut pudding. Chocolate, chestnuts and cream...

Also, it will soon be time for fires inside. I am without a stove at the moment but feel I will soon be on the case. I took out my clay fireplace as it was not working. I feel tempted to make a new one but I do have a very good Jotul to put in so I may skip the clay bit.

The figs always get ripe just when the weather goes wet. So there are a lot of soggy figs around, and dizzy, slow wasps feeding themselves up for the winter.





No comments:

Post a Comment