Thursday, January 23, 2014

And Like Magic, They Appeared

We had Isabella to stay the night, after an afternoon of riding and getting to know Mr T. Sunday morning we took the dog for a long walk and when we returned there was a pile of long straight poles at the top of the hill! Fourteen of them. It felt like a gift. Isabella and I immediately got down to a bit of peeling, and managed to do four before lunch, even though there was a blisteringly cold wind from the north. I finished them off the next day and they are now stacked off the ground and covered where they can dry out for a few months.









The men are still cutting the trees down below, so today I went down and asked them how much they wanted and they said they were in exchange for having access to the trees! That made me very happy.

I have been digging more of the trench. Slowly cutting through the rocks.

While it was raining I went down to my house in Sao Luis and started to give it a Spring clean, ready for the new season. It is such a nice house. I whitewashed the kitchen area. And since Laura lives opposite I had the pleasure of her and Olivias company for a while, upstairs on the lovely wooden floor in the sun.

The chickens are doing well, despite the marauding pigs... and R has made a beautiful dresser for the kitchen, using olive wood branches here and there. How lucky am I?

4 comments:

  1. How utterly lovely. To know that someone you know is doing so much good whilst loving doing it is wonderful. I'm a teeny bit jealous but appreciate how much effort goes into portraiture so.... fabulous stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Permaculture... PERMACULTURE! Damn you autocorrect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice axe, looks like the very tool for the job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Sandy. It's tiny, I know, but it just gets under the skin and prises it away.

      Delete