Friday, July 11, 2014

Was Tired, Now I'm Inspired!


 So, I was cobbing away and feeling very hot when Laura suggested the beach. I dragged myself away and Oh, the bliss of coolness! And fun to hang out with the three lovely girls! I hope Isabella learns to swim this year. Next, Olivia.
The water was freezing, but I could relax and enjoy Olivia taking her first mouths full of sand and crawling. Isabella and I made sand cakes with dribble sand candles.  We all had an ice cream after.  Sometimes it's good to just stop and take a break.



While R is away doing a week of farm-sitting I've been left with the task of watering the fruit trees. I hate dragging a long heavy hose about the steep hill, and it is still not long enough to reach some trees, so I looked into getting a drip irrigation system. It would cost a bit and it is complicated as the hill is so steep and the trees quite far apart. I looked at the tubing and got an idea of the way it works but didn't buy anything. Then, I got an idea. Use contaiers with a small hole in them. I bought some 15 l rubber buckets and made a small hole in the side of them and put a biggish stone in the bottom so they don't blow away, then filled them with water and hey presto! a drip system that cost under 10€. Just have to move the buckets around or get more. It takes up to half an hour for the water to drip out, so none is wasted. I love it!


I've got loads of carrots and onions in a patch that was under plastic all last year and then I planted it in the early spring. I have not watered it but they have valiantly grown and are very tasty. Just have to be careful when pulling the carrots as the clay soil has gone like a solid rock. They taste so good.


I planted a lime tree rather late in the spring and was worried that it would die, but it is doing really well. It has lots of blossom and quite a few fruit, hiding in the glossy green leaves.


Can you see them?


And finally, back to the cob studio. Tomorrow night I must remember to go down there and see where the full moon shines in the windows as that will be where the sun will shine in six months time. Ain't that cool?

2 comments:

  1. Wooow!!! I am in awe - you just get on with so many great things in a beautif place creating the life you wish to live!! Please keep it coming :), found you through "natural homes". So wonderful.

    ReplyDelete