Thursday, September 11, 2014

 The roof is beginning to take shape. The old roof tiles accommodate the irregular curves very kindly. I have put two layers of plastic and then some shade netting to stop it being so slippery up there. The plastic is nailed down at the ends with small lath along the posts and then trimmed. I managed to get the plastic on while a storm was brewing. Got it secure before a huge rainstorm came and filled the swales. So the house was dry and I had done the thing that felt hardest to do.

 I went for an early morning stroll (to let out a mouse in the mouse trap) and watched the huge harvest moon setting in the morning mist.  The air smells lovely now that there is a bit of humidity in the air. Cobwebs in the corn stubble glitter with dew.








The view in the morning as the sun rises
is always worth a photo. I tried to get the
rays that shine through the trees on the
horizon
 And here is how the roof looks at the moment. Half the straw is up and spread about and some fine bean netting lain over it to stop it blowing away. I can't wait to plant the seedlings I have prepared. Mostly rubbery creeping plants of the ice plant variety, and things that need little attention and have shallow roots that spread.

Isabella said that the way the roof beams are looked like a leaf. I love that.

In the garden the huge black figs are dropping to the ground and the golden orioles are feasting on the green figs. The rain has stymied my attempts  at drying them, but I have made some fig and ginger jam. The okra plants are doing well and keep producing one or two a day. Just enough for me since I am home alone now as R has gone to do his apple picking.

No comments:

Post a Comment