Sunday, September 21, 2014


The roof is blooming!

 I got the urge to make a fireplace. I used a drawing from 'The Hand Sculpted House' book and thought like a 3D printer, starting at the bottom and working my way up. I used some fire bricks for the base and the first bit, the rest is mud mixed with sand. It seems to be behaving very well. No serious cracks.
 I used rabbit wire to form the curved throat, and rebar to keep it straight-ish. I can only do a bit at a time or else it all collapses. A good exercise in patience. I sit on a chair and just look... then go and pull a few weeds out of the garden. There are plenty.
 My drawing. I felt very professional having a diagram to work from. (Heh heh)
 It's an ugly looking thing at the moment. I hope I can embellish it and turn it into a thing of beauty. I will put on another layer of cob with straw in the mix, on top of the sand/clay mix.
I decided to use tins from cooked beans and pineapple slices. They are a good size and they slot together, and they are made from steel. They will be covered in mud. I will get tubing for the outside bit.
 I burned some paper in it and watched the smoke curl up the chimney and into the smoke chamber. Exciting! There is a tube in the wall beside it for draught. I could get it to be right in front of the fire...
There were huge navy blue clouds hanging about bumping and bullying, rumbling and threatening on the hills nearby. I noticed a section of rainbow tucked in there... strange. Must have been a spot of sun (shining on Tamera!)
The garden is appreciating this rain, except for the figs which are soggy and fit for wasps and flies only.

No comments:

Post a Comment