Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Shape of Things to Come


I have decided to make the roof one big slant from North rising to South. I can use the poles I already have and put a big beam across the middle to hold them up. I am inspired by SunRay Kelly's roofs which are fun and fantastical. Once I have the main beam up I will start to experiment, meanwhile I have been building up the walls in a slanting way, going with just what I feel is right. I have to believe in my feelings!

I ordered a beam from Buhler and it came the very same day. All 8 meters of it. So impatient was I that I asked R to help me down the hill with it.... We draged and slid it all the way from the windmill to the site. Believe me, that is quite a distance for something so heavy.


Then I treated all the wood with some lovely stuff called 'Wood Bliss', a non-toxic treatment that creates a new surface (of cellulose) that bugs don't recognise as wood. Also fire, UV, mould proof. And nice to use.


I was plastering this afternoon and went arty. Believe me it's hard not to with this mud lark.


Our neighbour, Jacinto, comes by often to view the progress. Here he is sitting in my new studio! He told me his son had noticed the building from across the valley, so I went and had a look. Wow! It looks big and round, but blends in a treat. I love it.





And finally, R has made a beautiful trolley for Olivia, who is just learning to walk. The handle is made from an olive branch.





No comments:

Post a Comment