Thursday, January 1, 2015

A Quick Look Back

At the start of a new year I find time to look back. It's been a year full of doings. The studio has taken up most of my time, even though I wasn't working on it full-time. It occupied my head. I still find it hard to believe that I built it with just my hands and feet. It's not finished, and I had rather hoped it would be, to have done it in a year, but then I thought that was a restrictive way of thinking, so now I have relaxed.
1st January, 2014


February, drainage ditch dug

March, on the pile of earth

Reciprocal roof trial, April

Now it's growing. June

Roof on. September

Wwoofers plastering. October

Habitable!

The floor is going well despite my misgivings. I was worried that the earth was too dry for tamping, but the oil is soaking in and creating a better surface. I have run out of oil and have to wait til next week before I can get some more. That's hard! But I have been spending more time in the garden, planting onions, garlic, beetroot and carrots. (It being a 'root' day in the moon calender.)

The weather is brilliant. Very cold at night, but clear blue skies during the day. It feels cosy having the wood burner chugging away, a kettle full of hot water at the ready. I cook slow stews on it too. They taste so good.

The garlic Isabella and I planted have come up, and the broad beans look leafy and healthy. I have sown a load of chick peas but someone said it was too early. I think that if it's ok to plant peas, then chick peas will probably be fine, too.

Rosy dawn.


No comments:

Post a Comment