Wednesday, February 19, 2020

A Quick Word About No-Dig Gardening

It was with great enthusiasm and conviction that I dove into the no-dig gardening technique. Now, a few months down the line I have some thoughts on it.

First, it seems that the mulch is meant to be wood chips, fresh from some chipper, and as I didn't have any I used straw, which duly sprouted all the seed heads in it.

Second, and the worst thing, was that the slugs and snails loved it! They ate every little cabbage into lace. I went out at night and caught tons of the slimy buggers. During the day they would hide in the mulch of cardboard and straw. They got enormous!

Third, in winter the mulch keeps the ground very cold.

Fourth, unless you have managed to smother and kill off the weeds like couch grass, they will keep popping up.

So I think that I will start mulching more now that the weather is warming up and there's no sign of the much-needed rain, but until the ground has no more weeds like couch grass, no-dig is heaven for gardeners' enemies. I am much more vigilant in searching for the slugs and snails.



No comments:

Post a Comment